Wednesday 23 May 2012

A bit daunted...

So, Hubby's Oma is celebrating her 80th birthday later this year.  This is the same lady I made the Dutch Pinwheel Cushion Cover for last year.  Based on how much she loved it and also the fact that she doesn't "need" anything as such, I had been thinking for a while that I will make her a lap quilt for her big birthday.

So after a bit of homework, I've drawn up this very rough plan.  4 appliquéd Sunbonnet Sue's and one Fisherman Sam/Overall Bill to represent our section of her family.

This is where I start to get a bit weary of this idea.  I've never appliquéd anything before - it feels like this is a big deal considering the magnitude of the occasion...

So, my dear sweet readers, can any of you help with tips or pointers on appliquéing? I've googled and googled and there are hundreds of ideas and suggestions but I really don't know where to start or what will give me the best results given my skill level in this area.

Any ideas or tips or pointers will be hugely appreciated!
Thanking you
L x

5 comments:

  1. Thats a lovely idea!

    A few tips would be.... use a very light weight fusible web ( steam a seam lite ) as if you are going blanket stitch around the area.. light weight is the key as you will be pushing the needle through many layers at some points of the applique.

    Blanket stitch is a great way for a beginner to start... but before you start do, do a few practice runs to get into the rhythm of the stitch, that way when you get to your project it will look much better for it.

    And if you want to machine stitch around it... go slowly until you are confident enough to pick up the pace.

    I wouldn't recommend at this stage to try sew and turn applique as that takes alot of practice to get it neat.... especially with a deadline to meet! Goodluck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handmade presents are the best, looking forwards to seeing how you get on but i have no tips and no idea how its done x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out this tutorial

    http://lynetteandersondesigns.typepad.com/lynette_anderson_designs/2009/09/blanket-stitch-my-way.html

    and then this one


    http://lynetteandersondesigns.typepad.com/lynette_anderson_designs/2009/09/day-two-of-blanket-stitch.html

    They show you how to lock your stitches to that they dont move and look ugly! Once you get gonig it is really easy. I personally love doing blanket stitch on my appliques :o) Have fun. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've got some great advice already. Good luck! I can't wait to see the finished result- I've got faith in you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have huge faith in your ability xxx the Dutch pin wheel was gorgeous !!!
    My introduction to patchwork was appliqué

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it brightens my day!