Wednesday 7 May 2014

Show & Tell: Triangulate

Hello hello!

Show & Tell Thursday's

Anya had a lovely teacher last term.  Had... because she is now on maternity leave!  We wanted to give her something special and a little different for her wee little girl when she arrives and beyond.  Queue a quilt!

I decided pretty much overnight to try a triangle quilt in pink, aqua/blue and grey.

And best of all I had all the fabric in my stash!  Some I've had for a few years now, and some arrived recently!  Bonus bonus.  Many were favourites that I'd been saving for something special like this.

I looked up triangle quilts - guess what?  They're called Isoceles triangle quilts! Sounds fancy eh?  There are a number of tutorials, tips and tricks out there.  I just ended up going for it and learned as I went.   The rows were 6" high and triangles from that, and just kept going until I was happy with the size.

I'd love to hear if anyone has tricks for getting perfect points every time...  I had cut the triangles accurately, had sewn the seams exactly and handled the fabric carefully.   Still there were some intersections between the rows that were not as precise as I'd have liked...  Any recommendations?  Advice?  Help?  For next time?

I straight line quilted for the most part, with interspersed complete triangles.  the whole thing was entirely cotton so safe for a baby and beyond.  Finished size: 214m x 142cm.  I really loved how it turned out.  The colours, the patterns, and that baby fabric!

Anya and I dropped it round to her teacher a few weeks ago. She loved it, her reaction was just the best!We hope they will get lots of years of enjoyment from it  : )

What did you get up to over the holidays?  Have you started any winter projects yet?
Thanks you guys for stopping by and linking up. Always hugely inspiring!
L xx

PS:  Please make sure you have a working link on your post so people can find the link-up party! Thanks :)
Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced.

Show & Tell Thursday's





15 comments:

  1. Dude. Seriously. This is amazing, wonky triangles or not. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing. Triangles are very tricky to get perfect. I have seen a few tips out there but none of them work for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing !! !! I am sure it will be well and truly loved forever. I can not get my head around quilting my own quilts spell bound by such a gorgeous quilt! Well done xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning and such a generous gift. As a previous teacher I often think of my former students and I am sure you guys will be remembered with such fondness - beautiful work as ALWAYS! Also Flip was very stoked to get a comment on his review - thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh it's GORGEOUS! I love your generous heart x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky, lucky teacher! I have cut some triangles, but that's as far as I have got. I read someone, maybe Adrienne at Windy Side, cuts the tips off her triangles. Maybe it was Linda at Koka Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! What a sweetie you are! You have to look after the good teachers. Love the baby fabric on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a pretty quilt. I love the colour combination, and the triangles look close to perfect from here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love your triangles so MUCH!!! The colours are perfect. Triangles are my favourite shape - so making a triangle quilt is certainly on my list of things I must make... but haven't had a go yet so no tips I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its beautiful!!!
    My daughters teacher left also at the end of term to have a baby... she only got a beanie from me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! How did I miss this! Gorgeous! Definitely one I will be 'pinning' for future reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A really beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! Love me a pretty triangle quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! I'm currently sewing triangle rows together and am having problems with some of my points as well. Paula at Sassy Quilter has a great tip: http://www.sassyquilter.com/joining-triangle-rows/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have just been inhaling all your posts!! The photos of your girls are so awesome....you know just how to capture their individual personalities! And this quilt!! wow!!! And the cake!!! wow! Just so creative and man I missed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - it brightens my day!